Are there moments when you need to RISE UP?
- When life is hard/complicated/confusing and you choose to *look up*, connect with a person and ask for help?
- When you’re focused on your own life and *heads up* you look around to find ways to make someone else’s day great?
- When you *brave up* and *stand up* for someone who is being bullied?
- When you *speak up* and show God’s love through your words?
I just love Andra Day’s song “Rise Up.” Here are a few of the lyrics…
And I’ll rise up
I’ll rise like the day
I’ll rise up
I’ll rise unafraid
I’ll rise up
And I’ll do it a thousand times again
And now some Bible lyrics…
What is found throughout these 3 messages?
We find our HOPE in Christ Jesus, the giver of life. It can be really difficult to reach for hope sometimes, especially when we are struggling. Through God’s love (all of Creation, other people who have your back, yourself) we find hope each day. It is our job to LOOK FOR THE HOPE. Stand up for justice and what is right. Seek out ways to be kind. Don’t get discouraged by the bad stuff. CHOOSE HOPE.
Challenge: Find some ways to RISE UP this week. Do it! Reflect on how you feel afterwards.
Sunday, September 17:
- New BFG Kids Classes! And, this weekend, get ready for the kids & youth to RISE UP and go to *new BFG classes!* Exciting changes are happening starting this Sunday, and we’re so thankful for the adults who are ready to learn and guide alongside our amazing kids and youth. (More details in 9:00 am Worship–see table in Sanctuary lobby/narthex.)
- Adults (parents and non-parents), email Laurel.cluthe @ holmeswood.org if you’re interested in helping out a few Sundays a year.
- *New Kids Bulletins*
- Kids, grab one each Sunday and learn even more during Worship! These are just for you. = ) Crayons/markers/pencils in the white Worship bags in the Sanctuary lobby/narthex.
- New Youth [non-Sunday AM] Events!
- Let us know when you’re available–on this Doodle Poll!
- Let’s have some bonkers fun! Expect the unexpected, peeps. = )
Mark Your Calendars:
- Sunday, October 22 – Children’s Sabbath, a Sunday where kids lead in Worship
and adults respond to God’s Call to advocate for children around the world. Email Laurel . cluthe @ holmeswood.org if your child/youth would like a speaking part! Mr. Allen will be teaching a song to the kids in BFG in October to sing in Worship this day! For more info on Children’s Sabbath (started by the Children’s Defense Fund), find info here. This year’s theme is “Moving Forward With Hope: Love and Justice for Every Child.”
- Faith & Funsss: Wednesdays from 5:30-7:30 pm (Free, dinner provided; for school-aged kids & youth)
- Oct 4–Theme: Unity–loving my neighbors as myself
- Nov 4–Night of Thanks!
- Dec 6–Wisdom & Giving
- Jan 3–Church campus Scavenger Hunt & Overview of the Bible
- Feb 7–Valentine’s Day, Shrove Tuesday, and Lent, oh my!
- Mar 7–Poetry and Rap Session
- Apr 4–Surprise!
- May 2–Wrap-up of Year, Pizza Party
Let’s Rise Up and share Hope and Love to each person we see this week. See you Sunday!