Last month, I took a class where everyone was partnered up with a semi-stranger.
And we had to “stare into each other’s souls” for 60 seconds…looking into someone’s eyes without talking. (insert “eek” face!)
It was really, really hard! And the whole room ended up nervous giggling at some point.
Then I saw these new glasses that block out all screens when you wear them:
What if you and I blocked out all of the distractions and focused on being face-to-face, eyeball-to-eyeball with each other?
What would happen?
God spoke to Moses face to face, just like God was speaking to a friend.
No distractions, no busy schedule to get in the way of time with each other.
How do you spend time with God? Is it hurried and brief, or leisurely and full?
Time with God, a friend
- Take a moment and time your phone or device for 60 seconds. Close your eyes and spend 60 seconds of time with God. In your head, talk to God. Listen for what God is sharing with you, too.
- After 60 seconds, now try it for 2 minutes…you can do it! Do the same as above.
- Can you do this one more time this week, take 3 minutes out of your day for the One who created wonderful you? Try it! I’ll try this with you.
Sunday, October 7 – World Communion Sunday and Family Pumpkin Patch
- Worship: Kids/youth are invited to present breads from all over the world during Communion in Worship–pretty exciting!
- After BFGs: Join us for a really fun time at Johnson Farms after BFGs; kids, teens, parents and grandparents are all welcome! 11:30am-1:30pm
- For any child/youth who can recite ALL 66 Books of the Bible in order, your admission ticket and treat will be FREE! See Ms. Ella or Laurel for more info.
***Tickets still available!!
Fall Youth Retreat: Ed Sheeran + God
- Our theme is based on Ed Sheeran’s song Save Myself, focusing on how our capacity to love others depends on how much we love ourselves. We’ll put on our “God eyes” to try to see ourselves as God sees us–whole, beloved and uniquely incredible.
- PART 1: Friday, October 12 – Youth Fall Retreat, Part 1 from 6:00-10:00pm
- (Not Saturday – Ed Sheeran concert for some)
- PART 2: Sunday, October 14 – 10:15am (BFG) until 3:00 pm
Sunday, October 21 – Children’s Sabbath
KIDS LEAD MORNING WORSHIP! EMAIL [LAUREL . CLUTHE @HOLMESWOOD .ORG] IF YOUR CHILD/YOUTH WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN READING, PRAYING, MUSIC PLAYING OR SHARING SOME OTHER GIFT DURING WORSHIP!
CHILDREN’S SABBATH WAS CREATED BY THE CHILDREN’S DEFENSE FUND AND MARIAN WRIGHT EDELMAN AS A WAY FOR FAITH COMMUNITIES AROUND THE US TO ADDRESS THE MOST PRESSING NEEDS OF US CHILDREN AND ALSO STUDY SCRIPTURE AND SACRED TEXT THAT CALLS FOR PEOPLE TO LOVE AND PROTECT CHILDREN. IN TURN, WE HONOR CHILDREN THIS DAY TO MAKE YEAR-ROUND PLANS TO UPHOLD JUSTICE AND CREATE ACTION TO PROTECT ALL CHILDREN AROUND THE COUNTRY. AND IT STARTS WITH OUR CHILDREN LEADING THE CHARGE FOR CHANGE. MORE INFO HERE: HTTPS://WWW.CHILDRENSDEFENSE.ORG/PROGRAMS/FAITH-BASED/CHILDRENS-SABBATH-CELEBRATION/
Have a wonderful week! Put on your no-distractions glasses (if you’re able) and see the wonder of God and God’s Creation!