Need 5 minutes of pure hope and joy? Keep reading…
2020: Is anything for certain? Tottering Boats
This year has been full of changes and awakenings, and one thing is for certain…not everything is certain. Okay, maybe very few things are assured to happen, but some things remain consistent. When lots of things in life are changing or a big (?) question mark, we have the opportunity to lean steadily on things and people we can count on. And let’s start with (you know this is coming)……….drumroll…………..God!
Our Creator of life, the sun, moon and Neowise Comet, just so happens to be the most stabile presence in our lives. It is up to us how much time and energy we put toward learning about God and God’s life guide (Bible) as well as our connection with God.
“But, Laurel, that book is so big and I’m so very busy.” Hey, I understand! If I spent 1/5 of the time reading the Bible that I do sitting on my couch watching Netflix or Disney+, I would be much closer to God and more invested in God’s Word for my life. #noshame here at all, just a reality check.
Whether you’ve read the Bible in its entirety 10 times over the years, or you aren’t even sure where your dusty Bible is at home, just remember that even 5 minutes reading God’s Word is better than 0 minutes. We’ve got this!
Where do I begin?
I get this question pretty regularly.
- If you have a few minutes and prefer books with short chapters, choose a Psalm to read. (Try chapter 1, 8, 16, 23, 46, 100, or 121 to get started.)
- If you have enough time to read a newspaper article (usually 500 words), you have enough time to read these entire books: Jude, Obadiah, Philemon (fascinating!), 2nd John, or 3rd John.
- If you enjoy a nice flowing novel, try 1st Corinthians, Ephesians, or even the wild acts surrounding Job. Ezeziel is the ultimate action story (think The Rock or Marvel series), and Song of Solomon will certainly remind you of a romcom (blushing ensues).
Just as you might’ve been hunting online for your next (2021?) dream vacation, channel some of the excitement into digging into the certain life guide and the wild adventure that is reading Scripture. We’ve got this. = )
For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord. –Romans 8:38-39
Once we get better footing by leaning on the certainty of God’s presence and power in Scripture, we are then able to go through the many parts of uncertainty with better focus, peace and care for ourselves and others. We use a strong anchor to secure our tottering boats.
- Check-in: How is your mind today–clear and sharp, sluggish, overwhelmed? (Either write down your thoughts or vent to a trusted one.)
- Action/Inaction: What is one thing you can prioritize this weekend to help stabilize your tottering boat? (Time with others, read, garden, walk, sing in the shower)
- Chat with God: God, thanks for today. This has been quite a week. Give me stability for my tottering boat, peace for my uncertain mind, and joy for my wounded heart. Speak to me clearly whenever I crack open my Bible. I love you. Amen.
I thank God for this opportunity to spend 5 minutes of your precious time with you. And I thank God for you and the time we can have to dig into God’s Word. Feel that peace live a river… = )