This past year has been really hard.
But we don’t have to tell you that. We’ve been bombarded with information and opinions, constant reminders that 2020-21 life as we scheduled it is not going according to plan. I am certain you’ve been stretched in super-human ways that have left us exhausted, anxious, scared, and so over this.
This space is for you, with updates on how Holmeswood (your church communtity) is doing its best to support you during this time. Church isn’t a one-way relationship; it takes a group of committed people to lean on each other and provide steady pillars to be leaned on. Some days you have a little energy or time to help out someone else; other days you need the helping (or just need to be left alone, which we completely get). Whatever your day, know that your church is always here because God is always present with us, full of love, mercy and support for whatever comes our way. Thanks be to God for that!
Happy New Year!
- January 18, 2021: MLK Day of Service: check this blog beginning Friday, Jan 15 for a list of ways to serve your community safely and full of loving justice. = )
- Wednesday Zoom book group begins January 20 – 6:00 pm – for 4 weeks, reading Richard Rohr’s “What Do We Do With the Bible?” Join us! More info in Friday “What’s Happening at Holmeswood” emails or by calling the church at (816) 942 – 1729
A Tiny Timeline of COVID Efforts at Holmeswood
- Suspended all in-person gatherings and started streaming Worship online (no in-person gatherings) beginning March 22
- Church staff began working from home shortly thereafter
- Facebook page (facebook.com/holmeswoodbaptist) became hub for all updates and church happenings, as well as communication via all-church emails (Friday What’s Happening and Sunday Worship bulletins)
- Pastors called everyone in our church directory once weekly for three weeks, and do spot check calls continuously since
- Easter Egg boxes delivered to families, as well as weekly mailings
- Bible Story Bingo (videos & mailing) begin for families
- Weekly mailings to homebound members
- Church Re-entry Team established to create and implement a plan for re-opening the church for in-person gatherings
- Cookie bags delivered to every (driveable) home in church directory
- Summer Faith Buckets (and videos) delivered to every family
- Six-week video BFG series on Facing Fear with Music for families
- Mission Project: Collecting food and funds for CAC and S. KC families
- Mission Project: Collecting school supplies and funds for Center Schools; saying goodbye to Anna in person
- “I’m Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness” by Austin Channing Brown Wednesday night book group